On 03:29 PM 3/09/2003, Website Visitor said:
Hi,

I am currently doing a project on Embedded Passives. Does anyone know how do I define the component property so that I can place the comp in inner layer? As for now I could only place the comps on top or bottom side. Thanks.

I think this will prove to be difficult in Protel. Components can only exist on top and bottom layers. Assuming you are using both external component layers as well as wanting to use embedded passives, I can't see an easy solution.

Maybe you could make up components that were labelled as being on the top layer for instance, but had tracks and pads on the inner layers - I hve never tried it but maybe it could work. You would have to set up specific components for each layer (or unlock component primitives and move the copper details to the required layer during routing.) You would also have to twiddle the placement info to pull the embedded stuff out of the outer layer placement info. Also, I am not sure how you would deal with component clearance DRC errors (you would probably have to check carefully manually and simply not run this DRC check).

It is an issue that may need to be addressed by future CAD packages if embedded devices really catch on.

Ian