At 01:29 AM 9/3/2003, Website Visitor wrote:

I am currently doing a project on Embedded Passives. Does anyone know how do I define the component property so that I can place the comp in inner layer? As for now I could only place the comps on top or bottom side. Thanks.
Posted from Association web site by: Aiza

As Mr. Wilson wrote, Protel components are classified as Top and Bottom, no other choices. But, yes, you can place pads on inner layers. So you'd make a footprint that had its pads on whatever layer you desired.

You could, I suppose, simply edit a component to move the pads to an inner layer (by unlocking the primitives for the footprint), but I'd recommend against it. Instead, make a footprint and give it a distinctive name, like "LAYER 3 CAP". You can also have assembly text and outlines on a mech layer dedicated -- and named -- to be your assembly layer for the layer containing the passives.

Because the Pick and Place CAM output will give the footprint name, it will be easy to separate those parts out from the Pick and Place file to make a Pick and Place file just for the embedded passive layer (and keep them out of the file for the Top layer, assuming that this is what has been used for the layer assignment).