[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to use a large, unmasked, plated, copper pour, on a single layer, to
> perform as a heat sink for a D-Pak regulator.
>
> I need to quantify the thermal resistance of the copper pour to ambient.  I
> know it's based on copper thickness and copper area.  I'm uncertain how to boil
> down to thermal resistance.
>
> Any help or applicable links is appreciated.

It doesn't boil down to thermal resistance.
You can start with one watt. It then depends on what else
is close by to restrict air flow, and what else gives off
more heat. You can improve the conduction to the other side
of the pcb by having a bunch of vias to the blank metal
surface there. Here again : what restricts the air flow ?
Closeness to a metal case may improve heat transfer, given
a steady airflow is possible.

Rene