Leo,
A belated thanks for the response.

Your link roughly agrees with an application note I found from Micrel.
Micrel's application note has a chart showing Thermal Resistance vs. Pad Area.  I'm
not sure how they came up with it, but it "feels" correct enough to help keep
me out of trouble.  It would take a great deal of work to verify its
accuracy.

Here's the link.
<A
HREF="http://www.micrel.com/_PDF/App-Hints/ah-17.pdf";>http://www.micrel.com/_PDF/App-Hints/ah-17.pdf</A>