From: JaMi Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 16 October 2003 5:07 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Cc: JaMi Smith
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Open source SP7

Ok, Mike, I'll stick my foot in my mouth . . .

As if I haven't already done enough of that . . .

Actually, I think that it is a lot easier than anyone may think.

Most people on this list own a functioning copy of Protel 99 SE.

Protel 99 SE runs faster on a slow computer than Protel DXP runs on even
a fast machine.

Enter the SDK.

Lots of people have a copy of the SDK, and I happen to know for a fact
that not all legitimately obtained SDK'e were obtained at the point of a
non-disclosure agreement, or even at the point of an EULA.

: )

So we use the Design Explorer shell from Protel 99 SE, and maybe even
the core of Protel 99 SE SP6 PCB, and plug in a couple dozen "servers"
that fix or replace all of the known problems (we can start with a pack
of say seven (7) servers).

: )

Worst we might have to do is make a few patches and/or intercepts in
some of the the original executables.

We might even be able to find a few legitimate "Trial Versions of Protel
99 SE" out there that we can legitimately redistribute in their original
form for free, etc., etc., etc..

Yeah, I know some of you are worrying about slowing everything down by
hanging all these new servers and patches on it, but once you put this
thing on a really fast new machine, like the kind that you need to even
make Protel DXP even limp along, then the thing should still fly.

It could even possibly out-perform Protel DXP.

If they won't give us our "Service" Pack 7, then maybe it is time that
we develop our own "Server" Pack 7.

: )

They don't actually even hold all of the cards that they may think they
hold.

There is more than one way to respond to a non responsive EDA vendor.

: )

Altium, your last chance to give us "Service Pack 7" for Protel 99 SE is
fast approaching.

: )

Whats it gonna be: SP7 or SP7?

: )