I think I found the problem.  In the "match components by" list-check-box,
I had some extra checks.  I thought that this list determines how to match
components for consecutive numbering (i.e, when an 100k resistor is found
an annotated as R42, all other 100k resistors are assigned R43, R44 and so
on, after that the normal order resumes).  I think there was such an option
in P99, but I may be wrong - I saw way too much CADs lately!

It appears that this box groups parts for putting into one package instead.

However, another problem immediately popped up.  Annotation forcibly shuffles
part indices inside package.  If I already "swapped" indices for better
routing but then re-annotate everything (Reset designators first), then
parts inside a package also reordered.

I avoided this problem (and this solution would have fixed my original one,
too <g>) by selecting "Do not annotate" box in the properties of all multi-
parts but 'A', then copying automatically assigned designators to all other
parts in the package.  This solution looks cheesy enough, tho...

To that matter, has anybody played with scripts in DXP?  I read about them,
but never tried.  I would like whether they are of any practical value
before committing any of the trial period time to them :)

Thanks,

-kkm