At 05:42 PM 2/2/2004, Dom Bragge wrote:
Thanks all for your suggestions.

I have taken the 3pin library part, 5pin footprint approach, there being three Pin2's on the footprint: the normal middle pin, another for the large mounting hole & one surface mount pin to give copper pad & soldermask antipad (which of course moves with the component). This looks fairly bulletproof as long as pin2 is *always* the one that is connected to the tab of a TO220!

I recommended using multiple pin numbers, but I wouldn't consider it "bulletproof." If you are using the Sychronizer and don't mess with the pad net assignments, it should work properly, but with Netlist Load and from certain starting configurations (where the pad net assignments differ from each other), it may not work properly, requiring some manual editing to get it into a stable configuration.

So it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the net assignments on the pads that have duplicate pin numbers, to make sure that they are properly handled, i.e., that all of them are assigned the same net. If they are, you should be fine. If you run Netlist Load on such a board, however, 99SE will create a macro to remove the net assignments of those pads, it is a known bug. But I'm not sure that this is completely correct even in DXP.

This message is sent using PostCast Server Professional Trial:
http://www.postcastserver.com/