--- Ray Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Hello,

> I do PCB layouts very infrequently.  I've now got a fairly
> complicated
> routing job to do and I would appreciate some tips about the
> capabilities
> of Protel 99SE.  Hopefully someone can tell me if the following are
> possible and and give me some hints/suggestions:

Ray,
Although a new Protel user, I don't think very much of the Protel
Autorouter. It is less than usable.

There is a very good router available, Electra from
http://www.connecteda.com/

The best thing is they have a 15 day trial downloadable (of which I'm
up to day 3 of my trial)!

It seems to be a plug-compatible copy of the famous Cooper & Chyan
Specctra Router, which is a serious autorouter. I like what I see so
far. The manual they give is sparse but if you or someone you know
understands Specctra they'll just love it. These things you require (no
routing but allow vias etc) may need to be specified in Electra not
protel - I don't think Protel has the concepts. Hard to work out from
teh manual, but possible.

Just my suggestion.

PS Learning to use an autorouter well takes longer than a day but is
well worth the excercise.

Good luck

=====
--        (99SEsp6)