Hello,

I do PCB layouts very infrequently. I've now got a fairly complicated routing job to do and I would appreciate some tips about the capabilities of Protel 99SE. Hopefully someone can tell me if the following are possible and and give me some hints/suggestions:

1. I have certain areas on several layers (different on each layer) that I don't want the autorouter to place traces in. However, I do want it to be able to place vias in these areas as needed to help with trace routing on other layers. Is this possible?

2. My other option to the previous idea is to use blind vias in these areas. What is the common wisdom concerning blind vias. Are they considered nothing special, or do board fabricators consider them a big deal and they should be used only as a last resort?

3. I have areas on several layers that I don't want the autorouter to place anything in but it's okay if it routes in this area on other layers. I believe I've seen something in the help regarding the ability to do this.

4. I have several BGAs with different pitches requiring different trace widths for escape paths. Is it possible to have the autorouter use a narrower trace until it gets past the narrow area, then widen out?

Thanks,
Ray Mitchell

Ray Mitchell
Engineer, Code 2732