Thank you  Bob and Phil,

I feel less insane now.  I alos tried everything . I even did control C , control V on
the lib name and carefully re-pasted in my netlist.
Ian, this should answer your question about my typo.

The only thing I didn't yet was follow my process of clearing the netlist first, then
ever, ever had a hic-up.  I am going to save the pcb, the netlist and the libs in
their un-altered format and will re-visit it in  a few days.  If I dont figure it out,
then I will forward it to Protel.  I still have to get this design done so the changes
I make to it might not allow the problem to show up again

Thanks for confirming that  someone else has seen similar problems,
Im not totally nuts

Mike Reagan