On 03:00 PM 24/06/2004, Darren said:
Greetings.

Does anyone know of the best way to translate OrCAD schematics to Protel?

My understanding is that EDIF may be the best way to go, but I can not figure out how to open the EDIF file in Protel to be converted to a schematic. Protel opens it as a text file.

Is there a way to generate the schematic from the EDIF file? Is there a better way?

I also tried opening the *.dsn file that is the OrCAD file format, but Protel does not do a great job of it. the font is too small, and the borders are messed up. There seem to be a few other artifacts that I find unacceptable.

Any advice would be appreciated. The reason I want to transfer OrCAD schematics to Protel, is that I want to use OrCAD for doing the simulations, and Protel for the PCB development (for me the simulation capabilities in Protel are inadequate).

This has been discussed in some detail on the Altium forum and there is a lengthy knowledge base (KB) item about this on the Protel web site - not sure of the number but a search should show it.

Ian Wilson