when we say 'different pinouts' are we talking about the
the geographical location of the given pin function or are we talking
about the pin *number* assigned to the given geographical location ?
it makes a difference!

anyway what is clear from this dialog is that we all care about what
we do and that there is no substitute for that care which can be
readily automated or completely provided by the CAD supplier
(vendors sell hot dogs in baseball stadiums)

it is a bit amusing that we probably get the xxx hundred pin thing
right but that the lowly 3 pinner often bites us

BTW remember the To92's that were ECB ? (or was it BCE ?)
just get out a bit of sleeving and your solder sucker and you
were all set
quite a bit harder to deal with in the case of SOTs though

ds

Ian Wilson wrote:

> On 12:03 PM 16/07/2004, Mira said:
> >Dennis,
> >
> >The pin numbering can only be 1 2 3.
>
> Mira,
> In Protel, pin numbers do not have to be numbers, they can be letters.  So
> you can use E,B,C for numbers if you want. If you have very commonly used
> parts making a matching set of Sch and footprints with matching pin numbers
> (using letters for both if that is better for you) makes good sense. One
> less thing to check.  The only downside to this is that you then have
> multiple footprints to manage if you ever decided to change you SOT-23 layout.
>
>   The pin names
> >might be 1 2 3 or E B C.
> >I haven't seen transistors with different pinout but
>
> There sure are/were transistors, in SOT23, with different pinouts.  I have
> not seen them recently but you used to be able to buy reversed pinout
> versions of common transistors from Philips.  May well be obsolete now.
>
> Ian

Integrated Controls, Inc.           Tel: 415-647-0480  EXT 107
2851 21st Street                    Fax: 415-647-3003
San Francisco, CA 94110             www.integratedcontrolsinc.com