On 12:03 PM 16/07/2004, Mira said:
Dennis,

The pin numbering can only be 1 2 3.

Mira,
In Protel, pin numbers do not have to be numbers, they can be letters. So you can use E,B,C for numbers if you want. If you have very commonly used parts making a matching set of Sch and footprints with matching pin numbers (using letters for both if that is better for you) makes good sense. One less thing to check. The only downside to this is that you then have multiple footprints to manage if you ever decided to change you SOT-23 layout.

The pin names
might be 1 2 3 or E B C.
I haven't seen transistors with different pinout but

There sure are/were transistors, in SOT23, with different pinouts. I have not seen them recently but you used to be able to buy reversed pinout versions of common transistors from Philips. May well be obsolete now.

Ian