you'll probably get a lot of different answers

150 deg F is not very hot, and this will probably help
but still there will be stresses ...

since this bd is doing 'a very important job'
you may want to tread lightly

what is the measure of 'badly warped' ?

how big is the board and what is the shape?
ie long and narrow or what

how many layers ?
balanced construction internally?
parts on both sides ?

what is the cause of the warping?
it could be in the design, bare bd fab, or assy method
or some combination of all

was the board wave soldered at some step?
if not preheated properly and that can be one cause

keep us posted or put up a link to a pic if you can

Dennis Saputelli

Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:

> This email is not a Protel-specific question but instead concerns a
> generic problem with some boards I'm getting, so I apologize for being
> off-topic, but this forum has more PCB experience than any other I
> know of, so I would like to get your advice.
>
> A partner in a manufacturing effort is sending us full populated
> boards (ICs and passive components) that are badly warped.  We sent
> them back and rather than get the boards remade and repopulate them,
> they want to heat the boards up (fully populated) for three days at
> 150 degrees Fahrenheit in order to straighten them out.  These boards
> perform an extremely important job and I'm worried about the stress
> on both the electrical components and the boards themselves.  Should
> I allow them to do this or should I demand the boards be remade?
>
> Thank you, Michael Robison

Integrated Controls, Inc.           Tel: 415-647-0480  EXT 107
2851 21st Street                    Fax: 415-647-3003
San Francisco, CA 94110             www.integratedcontrolsinc.com