this is getting embarassing
i thought i knew it all in 99SE
but you can enter a description in the properties
box and it persists and is listed in the file list
never noticed that either
could be very handy

still want to know how to get the path of a linked file
after the fact of linking though

i played with a few LINKs
Jpegs and Gifs appear to be imported and and thus
the explosion in size
i suspect they are brought in as bitmaps

PDF seems to make a true link
the acrobat title bar says 'embedded' document

DOC file seems to import the whole file at a slight
increase in size so i wondered if these LINK things
are true shortcuts

WAIT, they are true links! even though the JPG file seems
to be imported, changes to the external file are
reflected in the DDB

i closed the DDB, changed the external JPG file
and reopened the DDB and the change was shown

then i repeated above except with the DDB open
and it still showed the change when the JPG was reopened

so this is pretty cool
now if it only showed the path, or did i already say that ? :}}

Dennis Saputelli