It isn't an odd number of PAIRS that causes problems - it is an odd number of LAYERS. There are some advanced fab techniques that can reliably produce boards with odd number of planes or odd number of signal layers; however, there are very few fabs I would trust to do it. You can sometimes get away with odd number stackups, but it will eventually bite you in the butt.

Six layers is a common balanced stackup - provided there are an even number of planes, and even number of signal layers with reasonably distributed copper.