Thank you very much Ralph, and others

You were right about what had happened. I had already found the problem by
the time I read your post.
I found it using "Filemon". It appeared that the "Help and support" service
failed to start at boot as winxp's svchost.exe used %systemroot%\system32 to
find the appropriate files and as the windir env var had been set to an
actual string "%systemroot%", obviously it could never find the directory
"%systemroot%\system32" because it didn't exist.
As for the repair I found a much easier way the one described below.
On the desktop you right-click My Computer and select properties, click on
the advanced tab and click the "Environment Variables" button. In the bottom
list of system variables you'll find windir, which is listed as having a
value of C:\WINDOWS but when you click edit the dialog that proceeds shows
the actual value to be %systemroot%! I changed it to the appropriate value,
in my case C:\WINDOWS, rebooted and presto, all was good.

Alfonso