It's bad enough that its footprint is the size of an entire CD (why,

If you install everything, it's big, of course.  The minimal subset to
run LaTeX is comparable to OpenOffice (smaller, I think; I haven't
checked recently).

proTeXt is intended to be simple to install.  Evidently you want more
flexibility, so as Thomas said, you should install from miktex.org and
forget protext.  We should make this clearer in various places, so
thanks for the implicit bug report :).

    And then to even have to join a mailinglist for just this 1 question.

You can post to this mailing list (and all TUG mailing lists) without
subscribing to it.  If there is somewhere that says you have to
subscribe first, pleasr tell me.

karl