I believe that extending one of the generated types would be problematic
from a maintainability standpoint, and may introduce unnecessary
limitations with regards to using and extending the business classes.
Have you considered associating behaviours with the data instances using
a wrapper-style approach?

The business classes could wrap instances of the generated data
structure classes, accessing and manipulating their properties as
needed.  Serialization of these objects could amount to serializing
their data, perhaps wrapped in a message which includes the business
object specifier so the correct type could be determined dynamically
when parsing.

If the application is such that extending the generated message types
could have made sense, then it may make sense to view the wrapper based
solution in terms of object state.

# Marshalling
state = business_object.get_state()
bytes = state.SerializeToString()