From: Kenton Varda [mailto:ken...@google.com]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 2:01 PM
To: George Georgiev
Cc: Protocol Buffers
Subject: Re: combine protobuf messages

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM, George Georgiev
<georgi.georg...@citrix.com<mailto:georgi.georg...@citrix.com>> wrote:
1. How to serialize parts from the message without validation

Use the "Partial" serialization and parsing methods, e.g.
SerializePartialToString() and ParsePartialFromString().  These do not check
required fields.

2. How to combine two parts. Or how to parse second part which may overlap some
of the already existing parts

Use MergeFrom():

  MyMessage combined;
  // Iterate over messages from lowest to highest priority.
  for (int priority = 0; priority < max_priority; ++priority) {
    combined.MergeFrom(messages_by_priority[priority]);
  }

  // Check
  if (!combined.IsInitialized()) {
    cerr << "Missing required fields: "
         << combined.InitializationErrorString() << endl;
    return false;
  }

As documented, the semantics of MergeFrom() are:  "Singular fields will be
overwritten, except for embedded messages which will be merged. Repeated fields
will be concatenated."

So, if you merge the highest-priority message last, then its values will end up
taking precedence.

If MergeFrom() isn't quite what you want, then you'll have to write a custom
algorithm based on reflection.