FWIW, at Google our build system is set up such that everyone actually
checks out the protobuf code from version control along with their project
code, and the build system actually builds protoc as part of the build
process.  It works as long as you have a distributed build (e.g. distcc) and
lots of machines, and it completely avoids any need for a release process
for protobuf changes.
Another thing you could do is put your build tools on a network drive, so
that you don't have to install them individually on every machine.