Eventually I succeeded by changing in the file  libstdc++.la the value
of the variable library_names from 'libstdc++.dll.a' to 'libstdc++.a'.
The libtool was complaining about the missing of the file 'libstdc+
+.dll.a'. It seems that this is a mingw-4.4.0 known issue.

Also I choose to build only the static library (passing the option --
disable-shared on to the command 'configure').