On Mar 7, 2010, at 4:16 , Oliver Jowett wrote:
Is there a set of message definitions / data that I could run benchmarks
over while tweaking the implementation? Since the C++ implementation
seems to be well tuned already, I was hoping something like this was
already around, but I couldn't find anything in the usual places..

There are two message types and some code included in the protobuf SVN repository. I've used them for a couple small improvements I contributed:

http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/source/browse/#svn/trunk/benchmarks

I could just use the message types I already have, but I fear that's not going to be very representative as they're mostly simple, flat messages
where the bulk of the data is inside an opaque bytes field.

If it is representative for *your* application that is probably the most important part.

Evan

--
Evan Jones
http://evanjones.ca/