On Mar 3, 3:43 pm, Steven Ong <stevenong2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to run 'configure' for the 'protobuf-2.3.0' on an Intelx86 and
> Solaris 10 machine. It's failed and I saw the following error message:

> config.status: creating protobuf-lite.pc
> (...)
> ...Here are the info on the GNU tools:
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.6

There's gcc-4.3.3 available[1] from OpenCSW.  It installs into /opt/
csw/gcc4/bin.

As far as building protobuf on Solaris is concerned, I've recently
built it on Solaris 8 using Sun Studio 11.  This build is compatible
with Solaris 9 and 10.  I've build 32- and 64-bit versions for sparc
and x86.  I'm reworking the patches so that they can be submitted
upstream.

There was a number of tweaks needed for it to compile; some were
related to the platform, and others to the compiler used.  If you
would like to see what was needed to build it, see here:

https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/protobuf/trunk/Makefile
https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/protobuf/trunk/files/

You can check out this directory, run and tweak the build youself.
You'll need to set up Sun Studio in order to do that.

If you have any further questions about the Solaris build, feel free
to ask.

Maciej

[1] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/gcc4core
[2] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/protobuf