On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Austin Ziegler <halosta...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
>> > I do test each release with both VS2005 and VS2008, and haven't seen
>> > that
>> > problem before.  Odd.
>> Do you have 2005 and 2008 on a single system, or are they on
>> independent systems? If they're on the same system, VS does not always
>> offer to upgrade, but opens the VS projects in the same VS that they
>> were created in. You have to explicitly force them to upgrade.
> Different systems.

>> I agree that if you can avoid it, you shouldn't maintain two different
>> sets of vsproj files, but if all you're doing is downconverting a
>> vs2008 vsproj to vs2005, then it couldn't hurt to ship both in the
>> tarball, even in separate directories.
> It also wouldn't help, because they are exactly the same except for the
> version number, and if a VS2008 user tries to open them, it auto-converts
> them to VS2008.

Except in the case where the user has both VS2005 and VS2008 installed
on the same system. As many of the developers at my place of work do.
If you give me VS2005 projects and I have both VS2005 and VS2008
installed, I have to explicitly open the VS2005 projects with VS2008
to make them work. This also may not work in scenarios where someone
may need to provide compiled versions that work with VS2005 and VS2008
(separately built versions). It's able to be worked around (we copied
the VS2005 projects to a new directory and forced them to be opened
with VS2008), but it is a little annoying.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler • halosta...@gmail.com • aus...@halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/http://twitter.com/halostatue