I actually maintain the project files using VS2008, but I run a hack script
that "downgrades" them to VS2005 (by simply replacing the version number)
before release so that VS2005 users can use the package.

I'm confused about how you managed to compile the project using VS2008
without it automatically "upgrading" the files.  Doesn't VS immediately
prompt you to upgrade when you open them?  I'm also confused why compilation
would fail, considering that the only difference between the 2005 and 2008
versions of the project files is the version number.

I definitely do not want to try to maintain two separate copies of the VS
project files.  Maintaining one set is already painful enough.  I really
dislike the MSVC build system.