The problem was that Protocol Buffers comes with a default VS2005
project, and my application is in VS2008.
Had to convert protobuf VS2005 to VS2008 and everything runs just
fine.
It seems that one of the STL Libraries had been changed between VS8
and VS9 and so was throwing all kinds of weird error/linkage errors.

Thanks for all the help.
Roey