1.  What happens when you need to read/write your messages in Java?  You'd
either need to rewrite all your classes or work with ugly generic JSON or
XML parse trees.

2.  Protobuf encoding and decoding is much, much faster than JSON or XML,
and the encoded messages are much smaller, particularly for non-textual data
(numbers, binary blobs, etc.).