Another feature that protocol buffers offers is the ability to easily
serialize arbitrary binary data.  If you were to use JSON or XML, you
would need to encode the data somehow.  Base64 is usually used for
this, which of course will represent the data as a string.  I noted
that you said:
"Also, I rarely come accross a web service that returns anything other
than strings, 32-bit integers and booleans. If I did, I'd probably
question the architecture."
Have you really never needed anything else?  How do you transfer
images or sound files?