Protobuf allows you to build your conceptual protocol the way you want it.
If you want security features on top of it, you can either add it to
your messages, or you can use a secure network layer that does the
work for you. Its your call.
Personally, I'm against reinventing the wheel, so I use protobuf over
TLSv1 with a good set of cipher suites configured :)

Marc-André LAVERDIÈRE
"Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and
complete, not lacking anything." -James 1:4
mlaverd.theunixplace.com/blog

 /"\
 \ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  X      against HTML e-mail