On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:59 PM, David Yu <david.yu....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where the jars at? (Or do we have to build the jars from source?)

Have to build from source.  (Though we're going to try to get the Maven repo
updated.  Long story.)

> I'm trying to benchmark 2.4.0a with its java perf improvements.
> The lazy decoding support is cool (like the activemq impl of protobuf).

Note that lazy decoding only applies to strings -- they are decoded from
UTF-8 bytes to String objects on first access.  Sub-messages are still
eagerly decoded, although we've been thinking about adding support for lazy
sub-messages.  (It's not always as great as it seems -- lazy decoding adds a
lot of bookkeeping overhead, especially if you want to be thread-safe.
 We've actually discovered that the lazy UTF-8 decoding is a loss in some
use cases; it will be tuned further for the next release.)