I'm starting to look at the patch (meant to start end of last week but got
caught up in other stuff)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Jason Hsueh <jas...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Conceptually this sounds great, the big question to me is whether this
>> should be implemented as an option in the compiler or as a separate plugin.
>> I haven't taken a thorough look at the patch, but I'd guess it adds a decent
>> amount to the core code generator. I have a preference for the plugin
>> approach, but of course I'm primarily an internal protobuf user, so I'm
>> willing to be convinced otherwise :-) Would using a plugin, possibly even
>> shipped with the standard implementation, make this feature too inconvenient
>> to use? Or is there enough demand for this that it warrants implementing as
>> an option?
>

> First of all, note that this feature is off by default.  You have to turn
> it on with the generate_visitors message-level option.  The only new code
> added to the base library is a couple templates in WireFormatLite, which are
> of course never instantiated if you don't generate visitor code.
>
> There are a few reasons I prefer to make this part of the base code
> generator:
>
> - If you look at the patch, you'll see that the code generation for the two
> Guide classes actually shares a lot with the code generation for
> MergeFromCodedStream and SerializeWithCachedSizes.  To make this a plugin,
> either we'd have to expose parts of the C++ code generator internals
> publicly (eww) or we'd have to reproduce a lot of code (also eww).
>
> - The Reader and Writer classes directly use WireFormatLite, which is a
> private interface.
>

> - It seems clear that this feature is widely desired by open source users.
>  We're not talking about a niche use case here.
>

>> Regarding the proposed interfaces: I can imagine some applications where
>> the const refs passed to the visitor methods may be too restrictive - the
>> user may instead want to take ownership of the object. e.g., suppose the
>> stream is a series of requests, and each of the visitor handlers needs to
>> start some asynchronous work. It would be good to hear if users have use
>> cases that don't quite fit into this model (or at least if the existing use
>> cases will work).
>>

> Interesting point.  In the Reader case, it's creating new objects, so in
> theory it ought to be able to hand off ownership to the Visitor it calls.
>  But, the Walker is walking an existing object and thus clearly cannot give
> up ownership.  It seems clear that some use cases need const references,
> which means that the only way we could support ownership passing is by
> adding another parallel set of methods.  I suppose they could have default
> implementations that delegate to the const reference versions, in which case
> only people who wanted to optimize for them would need to override them.
>  But I'd like to see that this is really desired first -- it's easy enough
> to add later.

Yeah, there's definitely a need for the const ref versions. It sounds like
nobody is clamoring for mutable access/ownership-passing so let's proceed as
is.

> Also note that my code currently doesn't reuse message objects, but
> improving it to do so would be straightforward.  A Reader could allocate one
> object of each sub-message type for reuse.  But, it seems like that wouldn't
> play well with ownership-passing.

 Perhaps instead of ownership-passing the methods could provide mutable
access so people could Swap() etc. It would defeat the optimization, but at
least be less messy. Anyway, all of this can be revisited later should the
need arise.