It sounds to me like you are over-complicating things. It is not uncommon to
have a separate DTO model for serialization, so simply write a little code to
map from your domain model (the comple model described above) to the DTO model
(close to the serialization format).

It is possible to write a code-first protobuf implementation, which might also
be a good fit here - but I don't know of one for java.

Marc