I think Gabor wants to avoid the overhead of implementing all that
additional bookkeeping as it'd slow down development. Something that
would effectively generate a protobuf descriptor so that it'd stay
consistent with changes in the Java code.

I would suggest looking at the protostuff project:

http://code.google.com/p/protostuff/

I think it has all that is needed to achieve the goals Gabor is looking for.

--Chris

2011/6/16 Miguel Muñoz <swingguy1...@yahoo.com>:
> I agree with Marc. When things get complicated, it's a good idea to
> separate your tasks. It seems like your java class, which generates
> some of the data based on other data, is one issue, and your
> serialization is a separate issue. (I know it would be nice to just
> make that class serializable, but that may be where you make things
> complicated.)
>
> When I want to serialize my classes with protobufs, I create a
> separate protobuf object to just handle serialization. Then I create a
> utility class that transfers data between my protobuf object and my
> java class. Then it's easy to add a constructor to my java class that
> takes a protobuf object and defers the work to the utility class.
>
> When I transfer data using protobufs, I don't convert to the protobuf
> format until the last possible moment before sending, and I
> immediately convert to the java class on receiving data. That lets me
> put my protobuf objects behind a facade, so I don't need to know the
> serialization details.
>
> -- Miguel Muñoz
>

> On Jun 15, 7:07 am, "gabor.dicso" <gabor.di...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to be able to serialize primitive types platform-
>> independently. I have hand-written Java data classes and I want to
>> serialize their primitive fields using a cross-platform framework.
>> These classes can not be generated, they must be written by hand,
>> additional code is generated based upon them. Also, serializing the
>> object as a whole isn't an option either, because the fields sometimes
>> have to be processed before serializing their values. I have to
>> serialize the fields separately. It must be made cross-platform
>> because the values will be stored in a database and they may be read
>> from other platforms. Creating wrapper PB-objects for each primitive
>> type is an overhead I must avoid because the operation will be done
>> very frequently and with large amounts of data.
>>
>> I found that Protocol Buffers addresses cross-platform serialization
>> of objects, but I could not figure out how to use it as a
>> serialization framework for primitive types (without having
>> created .proto descriptors). Is it possible to use PB as a cross-
>> platform serializer-deserializer framework for primitive types?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gabor Dicso

Chris