Unfortunately it's not guaranteed that earlier fields appear earlier
in the message. Although that is often the case, I wouldn't recommend
writing your code s.t. it assumes this. The usual way that I handle
this is by splitting the message into a header and data message, and
then send something like

<header length varint>
<header data>
<data length varint>
<data data>

That way your manager thread just decodes the header figures out what
to do, and sends it on. Then the actual worker thread decodes the
data.

If this is not an option, you can write a custom decoder that just
skips over fields you don't need to read. This is a little tricky, but
if you're not trying to be too generic it shouldn't be that much code.