Thanks for taking the time to read/reply.

GetHeartbeat2 is my original version which I included as well and the
way I had thought it should probably work. This code is serializing to
string
on the inner buffer and then again on the outer.

   response.response_proto = heartbeatResult.SerializeToString()
    self.sendMessage(response.SerializeToString())

The GetHeartbeat2 generates this error on the server ( I included more of
the stack trace this time)
java.nio.charset.MalformedInputException: Input length = 1
    at
org.java_websocket.util.Charsetfunctions.stringUtf8(Charsetfunctions.java:80)
    at
org.java_websocket.WebSocketImpl.deliverMessage(WebSocketImpl.java:561)
    at org.java_websocket.WebSocketImpl.decodeFrames(WebSocketImpl.java:328)
    at org.java_websocket.WebSocketImpl.decode(WebSocketImpl.java:149)
    at
org.java_websocket.server.WebSocketServer$WebSocketWorker.run(WebSocketServer.java:593)
Caused by: java.nio.charset.MalformedInputException: Input length = 1
    at java.nio.charset.CoderResult.throwException(CoderResult.java:277)
    at java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder.decode(CharsetDecoder.java:798)
    at
org.java_websocket.util.Charsetfunctions.stringUtf8(Charsetfunctions.java:77)