On 28 March 2014 15:54, Zhiqian Yuan <onyourmark...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Those two fields are string type, but like other integer enumerations,
> they both have a range to set value. So I decide they should be implemented
> as string-valued enum type. But there's no such a thing either in C++ or in
> proto.

There is no such thing as a "string-valued enum type" in the protobuf
world. You can either have an enum field (that happens to have an integer
encoding under the covers, but that doesn't really matter to you); or you
can have a string field and do whatever validation you want externally to
protobuf.

Are you trying to implement an existing message format, or are you trying
to define a new message format? If you have control over the format, what's
wrong with a standard enum field for these fields?

Oliver