Well now I have to find "autoreconf" for the autoconf.sh to work.

I have to say I am very disappointed in how much time, over 2 weeks, I have
put into trying to get version 3 of the protocol buffers to build on my
laptop!  I'm to the point where I am going to recommend to our manager that
we scrap protocol buffers and go back to XML to generate out message
definitions!  Free software is no good if you cannot get it working and
after wasting 2 weeks of my time trying to build version 3 it is no longer
free software!  I will have to go through all of this effort again when we
decide which cross-compiler we are going to use to build the image for our
embedded application.