----- Original Message -----

In a general sense, how can we be comfortable introducing an API in a 0.x
release, and consider it "stable"?   Wouldn't it make sense to expose the
*completed* API for at least one release before we propose stabilizing it?

For example, the reactor API is new in 0.9, but until 0.9 is released I suspect
that this API won't be fully explored by users.  And of course we won't uncover
any potential gotchas with the new API until it has seen some adoption.  At
that point we may need to change/enhance the api.

Seems to me we should get the reactor API out in 0.9, consider it complete, and
stabilize that *portion* of the API for 0.10 - possibly longer given the scope
of that API.  The SASL API would then be a candidate for stabilization in 0.10
- assuming it has been completed in time - with 0.11 being a realistic target
for considering the SASL API stable.

In other words, when the project considers an API to be complete (from the
developer's point of view), then there should be at least one release that
contains that API before we consider it a candidate for stabilization.

Just MHO...

--
-K