Github user astitcher commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/pull/11#issuecomment-78280044

    Thinking about it a bit more, I think I particularly object to the new
public API.
    What you really want at an API level here is simply a function to tell you
how many bytes you need to allocate, not a strange combined encode, but if you
can't tell how many bytes I would need.

    FWIW, I think that there are some simple strategies that can get you the
needed size out of a pn_data_t with a little extra being held in that
structure, withotu having to do the full encode.

---
with INFRA.
---