It wasn't actually an accidental commit. If I recall correctly I ended up
using it more like a 0xDEADBEEF value. It makes it easy to distinguish
between the failure mode of an actual hang (e.g. infinite loop or blocking
call inside a handler) vs reaching a state where there are simply no more
events to process. I guess you can think of it like a heartbeat in a way.

--Rafael