And of course, there is always EventPublisher, which is pretty lightweight
and has served me well in many projects:
http://wrath.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails-spinoffs/2006-February/002875.html

Short usage description:
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails-spinoffs/2006-March/002885.html

For a global event dispatcher, just create an instance of EventPublisher at
the global scope level...

var myEventDispatcher = new EventPublisher();

--
Ryan Gahl
Application Development Consultant