Hey Tobie!

First, in same vein (but not on this same issue), let me remind you that
#7247 [1] is out there...

On the $d issue, I think if we go this route, we shouldn't call it
$default.  $-based utilities should stay one letter long.  I also think
it should be $D (again, for consistency), as there is precedent hinting
at lowercase (as there was with Ruby's %w for $w).

The tricky part will be convincing Sam that there is a significant share
of actual coding situations where:

        a = a || defaultValue;

doesn't work (because false-equivalent values for 'a' would constitute
acceptable values).

:-)

--
Christophe Porteneuve a.k.a. TDD
"[They] did not know it was impossible, so they did it." --Mark Twain