Dan Webb's LowPro[1] "solves" this kind of issue by registering a
global Ajax.Responder that evaluates  DOMContentReady behaviors
onComplete.

Thinking along similar lines, you could wrap Event.observe so that
observers set for contentloaded are also stored into a queue that gets
processed after every Ajax.onComplete.

I'm just spilling my thoughts here, but I think it would work well for
most cases. How do you feel about this? (and, does it have any major
drawbacks I'm not seeing?)

Best,
-Nicolas

[1]: http://svn.danwebb.net/external/lowpro/trunk/