The CSS2 and CSS3 specs disagree on this, annoyingly enough. [1] I'd
originally written ":not" to throw an exception on selectors with more
than one token, but then I saw the conflicting definitions and
relented. All the other major libraries seem to allow this confusing
syntax.

Not being able to use the descendant combinator after a :not clause,
however, is a bug. Wiktor, feel free to report it; I'll try to fix it
before 1.6 final.

Cheers,
Andrew

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#q2