On Feb 3, 2008 5:13 PM, Tobie Langel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The version number is just a pain to parse.
>
> A build number also happens to be much more "machine" readable, which
> is the use case here.
>
> I'd like to have other core members' opinion on this.

I think we should have both version string and SVN revision from which it
was built.

Also, Prototype versions could simply be compared like integers in this
fashion:
function vnum(vstring) { return parseInt(vstring.replace(/\./g, '') +
'0'.times(4-(vstring.length/2).ceil())) }
vnum('1.6') //-> 1600
vnum('1.6.0.2') //-> 1602

That is because none of the version fragments will ever be bigger than 9.