Long story short, I have been using both for almost as long as either of
them have been around.

Basically, Prototype provides a wonderful OO abstraction facility and DOM
manipulation sugar, while Ext gives you a full set of excellently designed
UI components. Ext's OO model is not as robust as Proto's.

My biggest message to you would be that they are _not_ mutually exclusive,
and in fact work very well together.

--
Ryan Gahl
Manager, Senior Software Engineer