Ext is a full featured component library. The only issue with it (for some)
is going to be fact that it's a commercial product more than it is open
source (you can use it for free but only if you are releasing your stuff as
open source). If you are building a major browser based application intended
to run as a single page, long running app (think full featured desktop-like
app in the browser), and you are planning to make money with it or are in an
enterprise setting and can't release your app as open source, then Ext is
(as I said) MORE than worth the VERY small price they are charging.

Trust me, whoever said it's nothing more than an abstraction layer is a)
wrong and b) just not using Ext to its fullest potential.

Prototype is an abstraction layer (OO and cross browser DOM manipulation).
Ext _can_ be used with many other frameworks/libraries, including prototype.
If you use it in this manner, Ext _does_ smartly utilize facilities from
those libraries, assuming that that is why you chose to use both.

If all you want are a couple of semi rich widgets to go into a low or no
budget project, that you or your client are trying to make money with, don't
use Ext. If you are building a full blown browser app that needs to have a
polished look, work across browsers, and that looks and feels like a desktop
app, than don't use anything other than Ext (it's by far your best choice).

--
Ryan Gahl
Manager, Senior Software Engineer