On Aug 22, 9:09 am, "T.J. Crowder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > NodeLists are live, though, aren't
> > > they?http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/core.html#ID-......
>
> > Of course, but our selector implementation turns them into an array.
>
> Ah, okay, sorry about that.  I was thinking live.  I've
> readhttp://github.com/kangax/prototype/tree/master/src/element.js
> now and see where you're coming from.  Should have done that earlier.
>
> So if I'm using Prototype without enabling automatic extension, I can
> use $$() to get an array of unextended elements and do whatever I want
> (e.g., I know it's going to be a big list and don't want them extended
> until/unless I actually use them).  If I use $$W(), I'll get the new
> Prototype.NodeList with all of the elements pre-wrapped.  Is that the
> idea going forward?

Well, for now I want to keep $W and $$W as a separate addition. It's
very unlikely that wrappers are to replace element extension anytime
before ver. 2.0. Having a working implementation now will help us test
it thoroughly (before moving it into the core).
I'm not sure if we should "pre-wrap" elements or do the "lazy init".
First approach "hits" the memory consumption, while second - run-time
performance. We'll need benchmarks for this.

--
kangax