There has actually been some goings-on with .abort and timeouts...
Here are some tickets if you're interested:
http://prototype.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8886/tickets/308-major-ajax
http://prototype.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8886/tickets/302-ajax-abort-method

The simplest way to fix onSuccess is check if transport.send() is
false according to specs, but your mileage may vary depending on the
browser.  It's worth a short though.

(Though you should direct questions outside of the Core group.)